Art. 31 Goaltending and Interference
31.1.1 A shot for a field goal or a free throw:
- Begins when the ball leaves the hand(s) of a player in the act of shooting.
- Ends when the ball:
- Enters the basket directly from above and remains within or passes through the basket.
- No longer has the possibility of entering the basket.
- Touches the ring.
- Touches the floor.
- Becomes dead.
31.2.1 Goaltending occurs during a shot for a field goal when a player touches the ball while it is completely above the level of the ring and:
- It is on its downward flight to the basket, or
- After it has touched the backboard.
31.2.2 Goaltending occurs during a shot for a free throw when a player touches the ball while it is in flight to the basket and before it touches the ring.
31.2.3 The goaltending restrictions apply until:
- The ball no longer has the possibility of entering the basket.
- The ball has touched the ring.
31.2.4 Interference occurs when:
- After a shot for a field goal or the last or only free throw a player touches the basket or the backboard while the ball is in contact with the ring.
- After a free throw followed by an additional free throw(s), a player touches the ball, the basket or the backboard while there is still a possibility that the ball will enter the basket.
- A player reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball.
- A defensive player touches the ball or the basket while the ball is within the basket, thus preventing the ball from passing through the net.
- A player causes the basket to vibrate or grasps the basket in such a way that, in the judgement of an official, the ball has been prevented from entering the basket or has been caused to enter the basket.
- A player grasps the basket to play the ball.
- An official blows the whistle while the ball is in the hands of a player in the act of shooting, or the ball is in flight on a shot for a field goal,
- The game clock signal sounds for the end of a period while the ball is in flight on a shot for a field goal, No player shall touch the ball after it has touched the ring while it still has the possibility of entering the basket. All restrictions related to goaltending and interference shall apply.
31.3.1 If the violation is committed by an offensive player, no points can be awarded. The ball shall be awarded to the opponents for a throw-in at the free-throw line extended, unless otherwise stated in the rules.
31.3.2 If the violation is committed by a defensive player, the offensive team is awarded:
- One (1) point when the ball was released for a free throw.
- Two (2) points when the ball was released from the two-point field goal area.
- Three (3) points when the ball was released from the three-point field goal area.
The awarding of the points is considered as if the ball had entered the basket.
31.3.3 If the goaltending is committed by a defensive player during a last or only free throw, one (1) point shall be awarded to the offensive team, followed by the technical foul penalty charged against the defensive player.